Pergola Bridge

The Pergola Bridge, a covered footbridge, spanned the Glen as a way for students to walk between the Italian Villa dormitory and the main buildings of the Seminary campus. The bridge was named for the covering above the main walkway, called a pergola; this offered an additional floor for students to walk on. For a time, roses were grown on the sides of the upper walkway. Built before 1922, the bridge was destroyed in 1990 due to falling trees and a winter storm, leaving only brick piers and a short section of walkway at ground level.